ATTENTION LOS ANGELES AREA DREAMERS !
The California-Mexico Dreamers Study Abroad Program will offer 25 Dreamers from colleges and universities in the Los Angeles area a unique 3-week Travel-Study opportunity to visit Mexico from December 17, 2015 to January 11, 2016 with most expenses covered by a grant from JUNTOS PODEMOS to the California-Mexico Studies Center.
The California-Mexico Dreamers Study Abroad Program is a demonstration project that builds upon the CMSC California-Mexico Dreamers Program (piloted during Spring Break 2015), and conceived to offer 25 DACA-protected Dreamers from various colleges and universities in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, a 24-day travel-study experience in Mexico City and Cuernavaca, Morelos. The proposed program intends to apply improvements to the pilot project, based on the lessons learned and a more rigorous academic program with an emphasis on perfecting Spanish language skills, and learning about Mexican culture and the DACA/DAPA process.
- Improve upon the success of the CMSC’s pilot, as a model for Dreamers Study Abroad Programs
- Establish the framework of a replicable model for U.S. institutions of higher education
- Continue and expand video and photo documentation of Dreamers’ human stories
- Prepare Dreamers as ambassadors of the model, for them to replicate similar programs
- Train the participants to become advocates and providers of DACA/DAPA services
- Allow the Dreamers to spend 8-days in their communities of origin with their relatives
- Offer participants CSULB class credit and certification as DACA/DAPA advocates
To qualify applicants must have current DACA status, commit to assist other Dreamers upon return and meet all program requirements, including:
- Have a passport from the Dreamers’ country of origin;
- Secure Advance Parole authorization from USCIS;
- Commit to travel and participate in all program activities;
- $1,500 for airfare, registration, tuition & Advance Parole fees;
The 25 participants selected will benefit from the California-Mexico Dreamers Study Abroad Program’s educational and cultural experience as follows:
- College credit, Spanish and Mexican Culture instruction;
- Room & Board, field trips, meals and local transportation;
- Visit with family and discover Mexico during Christmas;
- Re-enter the U.S. legally and clear a prior unauthorized entry;
- Develop leadership skills to create similar programs or other projects that benefit Dreamers.
Apply online at: www.california-mexicocenter.org/dreamers-application-form
If you have any questions or would like additional information visit our Frequently Asked Questions page