INE I.D. Card Application Instructions:
A Step-by-Step Guide for Dreamers and Immigrants of Mexican-origin living in the U.S.
The following step-by-step instructions to apply and obtain an INE I.D. Card are specially designed for DACA beneficiaries and immigrants of Mexican-origin currently living in the United States.
WHAT IS THE INE I.D. CARD?
La Credencial de Elector del Instituto Nacional Electoral (INE) is the most widely used form of identification in Mexico as opposed to the "Matrícula Consular," which is given in the U.S. and is not recognized as an official identification in Mexico. This I.D. card also allows Mexican citizens living abroad to exercise their right to vote in the upcoming 2018 presidential elections in Mexico.
WHY DOES THE CMSC’S DREAMER STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM REQUIRE APPLICANTS TO OBTAIN THE INE I.D. CARD?
The CMSC requires Mexican-born participants to attain their INE Card for their own safety while in Mexico. Moreover, we advise all participants not to carry their important documents such as passport, advance parole permit, DACA card, or state-issued ID while in public places in Mexico. Instead, we ask them to carry their INE I.D. Card to avoid losing any U.S.-issued document that could jeopardize a safe return. We had a participant who lost all his documents, including his DACA and Advance Parole permits and we want to prevent a similar situation.
IMPORTANT THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE APPLYING FOR THE INE I.D. CARD:
- Applying to, and obtaining an INE I.D. is FREE of charge
- You must be a Mexican citizen and be 18 years or older
- The application process to obtain an INE I.D. takes from 2 to 3 months (please try to apply by no later than May 1st)
- You must have an official form of identification that includes your picture, such as your Mexican passport, Matrícula Consular, state-issued ID or Driver’s License.
- You must demonstrate proof of a U.S. home address, which can be done so by providing a bank statement, utility bill, school correspondence or other official mail that shows your name and home address, as proof of U.S. residence.
- You must have a copy of your original birth certificate
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY FOR THE INE I.D. CARD:
- You must make an appointment at your closest Consulado, and you have three options to schedule an appointment:
- Online: https://mexitel.sre.gob.mx/citas.webportal/
- By Calling: (877) 639-4835
- By visiting a Consulado Sobre Ruedas near you. For example, to find a Consulado Sobre Ruedas in the Los Angeles area, visit the following link: https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/losangeles/index.php/consuladosobreruedascalendario. A SIMILAR LINK IS AVAILABLE AT ALL CONSULADOS.
Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you schedule your appointment, along with a copy of your "Comprobante de Solicitud Individual de Inscripción" receipt, which specifies the date your application was submitted and includes a bar code to track your application. This allows for us to follow-up with INE if there are any delays.
The CMSC will be able to assist you in case you have any questions regarding the application process and/or activation process as soon as you receive your card in the mail.
For general questions regarding our campaign or for help on the application process, contact Jose A. Contreras, our campaign coordinator at: email@example.com or call him at (213) 926-3235